Long-term review: Apple Aluminum Keyboards

I mentioned Apple's aluminum keyboards earlier, but having recently bought a couple more, I thought that was a fact worthy of mention. The one I had grew on me and my fingers grew lazy enough that I started to get annoyed at having to lift my fingers so high to clear the tops of the front rows of keys on my work keyboard, or the "spare" keyboard I use with the MacBook Pro if I'm planning on doing some work from home.

The day I replaced my work keyboard, someone came into the office talking about cleaning keyboards, prompting me to said that the best feature of Apple's aluminum keyboards is that (so far) they appear impossible to get dirty. They begged to differ and suggested that the keyboard's best feature is that it looks amazing.

He had a point. I probably wouldn't have bought my first one if they didn't look so damn cool.

So, after a few months of use, the aluminum keyboard's feel grew on you to where other keyboards , and the beauty of its appearance doesn't wear off.

Having two (different) keys labeled "delete", one of which is actually backspace, continues to be retarded, and the numeric keypad continues to be useless to me.

(Speaking of which, the only other keyboard-related development I have to report is Microsoft's SideWinder X6 "gaming keyboard". It's not without a numeric keypad, but it does let you detach the numeric keypad to switch sides, and it's not obvious that you have to reattach it. Unfortunately, although the "editing pad" is fine, the esc key is in the wrong place, there's an extra row and extra column of useless keys, and two enormous dials. Plus the thing's almost as deep as it is wide, very clunky-looking, and may or may not require special Windows-only drivers. Microsoft usually says their keyboards and mice work with Mac OS, but they don't with this one. That may just mean that various features you don't actually want won't work, but who knows? And if they're not interested in telling me, I'm not interested in buying one to find out.)