2005-11-05

Mac OS 10.4.3 / WebKit ChangeLog

I haven't installed 10.4.3 yet. This post is part of my attempt to tidy up my desktop in preparation. No, now is not a good time to reboot. Edit and NetNewsWire are about the only applications I can trust to save and restore any state. And even they have no way to remember the simple fact that they were running.

Unlike Sun, Apple are pretty good at having links in their Software Update application to more details about individual updates, at least when they're big OS updates. But if you look at something like About the Mac OS X 10.4.3 Update you'll find the information given is very vague.

One highlight was "Disables Quartz 2D Extreme—Quartz 2D Extreme is not a supported feature in Tiger, and re-enabling it may lead to video redraw issues or kernel panics."

But the weirdest part, I felt, was "Improves compatibility of Safari with many webcams."

Luckily, over on the WebKit blog, they have a more complete list of WebKit Fixes in Safari 2.0.2 / Mac OS X 10.4.3 where the true geek can read the much more informative "Added support for multipart/x-mixed-replace content (often used by web cams)."

I'm the kind of person who does read the ChangeLog before deciding whether to update an application, so I really appreciate this. I wish this were linked to more directly from Software Update, and I wish that we had a similar level of detail for other Apple software.

Anyway, I need to post this so I can get back to preparing for a reboot...