2005-09-19

Pick Yourself Up

You know how in movies like "Solaris" or "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" there are moments where some otherwise innocent thing is a clue to another reality leaking through? The kind of thing common in Philip K Dick books? I was on the light rail yesterday and amused to hear a young person's phone play something I haven't heard in years. So long, in fact, that it took me a while to recognize it.

As I stepped off at my stop, though, the words came to me, and I realized it was Pick Yourself Up from the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers 1936 musical "Swing Time". A few days prior, I'd thought it odd enough to hear a modern version of Phil Collins' "Easy Lover" in a club. Not realizing at the time how apposite it would come to seem.

Anyway, I think all this is another clue that none of this is real. This whole soundtrack to my life is just there for the audience's benefit.

I just wish my character were more popular with the focus groups.