2004-09-12

Not answering the question

Reading the FAQ for harman/kardon's SoundSticks II, I was amused by their answer to "Why does the blue light stay on all the time?"

These speakers were designed to stay on all the time. There is no On/Off switch.

Fair enough. Who needs an on/off switch? But: why does the blue light stay on all the time? What does the blue light mean, beyond the fact that blue LEDs are now cheap?

I bought a Macally PowerBook power supply the other day (because I don't have an adapter to use my UK Apple one in the US, and because I was sick of the badly-made Apple connector coming apart because there's no grip on it and it takes quite a bit of force to plug/unplug), and it has a blue LED too. A very bright one. That's on all the time. Why would you do that?

If I wanted a night-light, I'd buy one.

I wonder if I can get one that also has a clock? I need another unsynchronized clock. Another remote would be good, too.

It's not just the software industry that's plagued by checklist features, you know.

I still can't decide what kind of speakers to get to replace the Denon kit I left in the UK. I really liked my Denon stuff (if you ignore the "HELLO" when you turn it on, the clock, and the slight crosstalk from the tuner), but I don't want to acquire any more stuff than absolutely necessary.

I can't spend the rest of my life wearing these iPod earphones, though.