Blind programmers, user interface, and spam

I'm not blind, and I don't know anyone who is, so it's unusual that I should find myself thinking of the blind twice in one day.

Constructing user interfaces
The first thing was the realization that ways of constructing user interfaces without absolute positioning are even more important if you're a blind programmer. Automatic support for accessibility technologies is often listed as a reason to let the computer construct the UI from a high-level description, but I'd always seen that as an advantage to the end-user. Not something that would be significant to the developer, were they blind.

This (taken from Edit) is how I construct dialogs, not because of the various benefits to the end-users, or the automatic adjustments for other platforms, but simply because it's the easiest way for me to build a dialog. Worrying about the exact layout is the computer's concern. If I were blind, I'd be even more glad of this:

FormPanel formPanel = new FormPanel();
formPanel.addRow("Find:", patternField);
formPanel.addRow("Replace With:", replacementField);
formPanel.addRow("", statusLabel);
formPanel.addRow("Matches:", matchPane);
formPanel.addRow("Replacements:", replacementsPane);

Another thing I'd never thought of was how annoying spam must be to the blind. It's bad enough getting animated GIFs of animal pr0n and losing real mail because a brain-dead spam filter (MIMEsweeper) deletes more real mail than spam. But imagine having your text-to-speech system shouting spam titles across the room. And what do all those l33t-spelled words meant to defeat spam filters sound like anyway? I shudder to think what that much intra-word punctuation does to the computer's pronunciation.

How long until this becomes my most-read post because Google turns it up in searches for "animal pr0n"?